Step Away From That Child

When we first moved to Saskatoon and I did childcare out of my house, I took in two brothers. The oldest had his definite issues but the youngest, who was just over  a year old, was my most challenging of the two. It makes my skin crawl to have kids (young or old) tugging at your leg, whining, screaming and carrying on until they are picked up. Always has been a pet peeve of mine and always will be, so when I see parents allowing this to go on with their kids, it kind of strikes a nerve. Okay, well more than kind of. So in a typical day I would be cooking lunch for everyone and he would want me to carry him. Not possible, not necessary and thus the fight began. In a short period of time he would get to throwing himself backwards onto the floor, screaming, pulling at my leg and eventually attempt to puke because he wasn't getting his way. This could carry on for a full hour to an hour and a half, to the point where he would refuse to eat, would claw at anyone he could get to, slap, kick and even try to destroy whatever was in his reach. After numerous talks with his mom, she said she absolutely just picks him up and it's not an issue for her. What he wants, he gets. End of story. They didn't stay long until moving on to another caregiver. I just couldn't handle it.

This case is pretty extreme, I know. Most kids that I know simply whine and cry until they are picked up. I know that parents of these kids would say it's the way their child is so they have to accommodate them to make them quiet. I believe that whiners, screamers and kids who need to be carried all the time are not born. They are made this way by their parents. Scooping them up every time they demand it is only enabling the behavior and they get the attention they are asking for. But is it good attention? Absolutely not. And before long the whining and screaming becomes greater, happens more often because that's how they've learned to get attention and is out of control.

At around 10 or 11 months Brielle went through a short phase of whining and tugging at our leg to get picked up. We quickly nipped it in the bud and it never really became an issue for us. Don't get me wrong, we hold her. A lot. But we choose our timing wisely and make holding and carrying her an experience that she enjoys yet doesn't have to demand. She's not carried around the house just because she expects to be carried. In fact, we've taught her that if mommies are cooking in the kitchen, we don't want for her to be in the way and to get stepped on, so she has to play in the dining or living area when we ask her to. Not an unrealistic thing to ask. Kitchens aren't safe for babies/kids and they are capable of learning. In the beginning she cried when we'd remove her and tell her that she had to go play with her toys, but now she knows that it's only temporary and that mommies mean what they say. Consistency is key.

Screaming and whining is not acceptable communication in our home. Screaming in our home gets you a little time on your own to calm down and decide if you are ready to join the family calmly and in a more appropriate manner. We will put Brielle in her crib to calm down if we need to, go in as soon as she's quiet and see if she's ready to join us. If not, she will scream again. If so, she will show us her happy face and she can join the family again. Thankfully this doesn't happen often but we do need for her to know that she will get some time alone to calm down and that we won't accept the behavior.

Baby sign language has been a blessing for us. We introduced it at 4 months and we feel that Brielle can communicate with us much better, which means she's less frustrated, which therefore means she's pretty happy all of the time. Toddler hood can be frustrating since she's doing more now, but we still feel that if we continue the lines of communication with her, we'll be able to get through this age group until she's talking. For those with kids who are old enough to talk and are still whining and crying to communicate, there is no excuse for this behavior. Well, it won't be an excuse in our household. Ever.

So if I were to politely make some suggestions to the parents who have whining, crying, leg-tugging children and pick them up every half a second, here are my first suggestions...
1. PUT THAT KID DOWN.
2. Start communicating with them by telling them you don't understand whining so please say what they want. In their mind, why should they ask for what they want when whining and crying gets them what they want?
3. If the whining and crying continues, ask them what's wrong, tell them you understand they are upset/tired/hungry but that you are busy/not able to carry them and instead would they like to help you/play with toys/engage in another activity and move forward with it.
4.  Continue working on a solution to this problem. You can't carry your child forever, people are tired of listening to the whining and crying just as much (or more) than you are and it's in your child's best interest to not be so attached to your hip.
5. Ignore the bad behavior and focus on praising them for the good behavior. In no time they will realize the more well behaved they are, the happier you will be and the whining and crying should go away. But remember, consistency is key.

It won't be easy but isn't that what good parenting is all about?

7 comments:

  1. That is exactly Deb's (and her mom) philosophy. We are still in the preggo stage, but plan on following that to a tea. Deb's mom has been a nanny for 40 years and that technique works every time. Nip bad behavior in the bud right at the beginning. Every action has a consequence with it be good or bad.

    She has even had kids like you mentioned but given enough time they learn the rules of that home/person and the tantrums don't get the reaction they were looking for so they stop, eventually. It's too bad the parents didn't usually follow suit.

    I just hope I have the patients to be able to nip things in the bud in stead of giving in. But having support with Deb will be my grace I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you won't have issues, especially since you are already aware of the behaviors you don't want. That way you'll be on the same page when figuring out what the best approach to take is. Honestly, parents need to communicate more. So many we know, don't. Thankfully we do know some awesome parents who do. :) If the two of you are already communicating long before baby is here, that's an awesome sign. Rhonda & I talked about EVERYTHING. We used others scenarios to discuss how we would handle situations, what we wanted, didn't want and ways to stay on board with this whole craziness of parenting. New challenges pop up and at first we may not make the right decision, but we're the type to talk about it and try something new right away just so things don't get out of hand. You'll be a great mom! You'll be great parents together!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dunno.... so much can depend on the child. Our first was a dream baby. We thought we really knew what we were doing. Then came #2. He was just a needier child than the first, he needed to be held and carried all the time, pretty much from birth.Once he started walking he was better, but he still needed a lot of my attention in the day. Even my MIL would say " put that child down". But he was my child, and I did what I felt was right for him. Crazy thing is, he out grew it soon enough. He became a very independent child, well adjusted and by far my easier child to raise. He is now 23 and he no longer tugs at my leg or demands my attention. Neither one of my children were spoiled or allowed to get away with anything in the least. My son was just needier. And now... I would give anything for just one day of him being a year old again, tugging on my leg wanting to be picked up and carried. I guess I have always just believed that a mom will know what is best for her and her child, and every mom should just do what she thinks is best. What works for one, won't work for another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do agree that parents need to do what's right for them and their child, but often times, there is stress involved with a kid tugging, screaming, whining and throwing a fit if they are not carried and that's when parents need to stop and honestly say, am I doing the right thing here? If you have question about it, then it's obviously something that needs to be addressed. If there are no negative effects for you, then there is nothing to change and it's obviously not a problem. What I did witness with the daycare child clearly was a problem. No daycare provider should have to tolerate that with someone else's child. Cleaning up someone else's kids puke because I can't even take 10 minutes to make lunch is clearly a problem. The situation with a mother & her 18 month old child that I recently witnessed is clearly a problem. Loads of stress for both parents and both of their children because of this situation.

    I think it's great that you didn't have a problem with carrying your second. If you did, you would have addressed it. Well, I think you would have. :) You're that kind of person. :) You did what you felt good about as a parent. But when you don't feel good about it, then it's time for some changes.

    I, for one, do not believe in allowing kids to scream, whine & cry in order to be picked up and carried everywhere. Period. The same needs can be met in a much "happier" way for everyone involved. Plain, ordinary "baby is tired and needs to be held" or "baby is sick and needs to be held" or "baby wants snuggles and needs to be held" is fine. There is a huge difference and we as parents know our children's body language and cries. For those that don't, well, that's a whole other issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like that poor childs needs are not being met BEFORE he has a melt down!! LOL and I was a pretty hard ass parent, and there was lots I did not tolerate, and he didn't always get picked up when he wanted it. I guess I tried to meet as his neediness as much as I could tolerate, before it got to meltdown time, and as he grew his neediness seemed to calm down. He just needed more from me for awhile. Bratty kids....I did not and will not tolerate. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe that about you...that you wouldn't tolerate bratty kids. That's why I don't feel like your situation is quite the same as I'm describing.

    Both this kid and his older brother were brats...totally a product of their parents. The oldest at almost 3 would do a kick, scream, bite and punch fit if he didn't get his way for anything at all. So, the parents give in. Same as the little one. They thought they were doing their children a great service by providing them with everything they needed, including giving in to whatever they wanted. Sadly, I see it so often and it makes my skin crawl. They figure they aren't being the bad guy by allowing this behavior from their children and in turn, they don't enjoy them. They love them but they are forever at the mercy of their temper tantrums to get what they want. So really, how could you enjoy them? I think being a parent who instills good behaviors to get what you want makes for a much better relationship with your child(ren). You never have to worry about who's in control and how a situation is going to turn out. Or better yet, that one situation isn't going to create an explosive situation.

    Tending to the needs of your child is much different to me than giving in to the wants of your child.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! I nominated your blog for a Liebster award! Check out my most recent post for what that means, then answer the questions and share the love!

    ReplyDelete

 

Find Us on Facebook

Join Us On Pinterest

Grab Our Button

Raising Brielle

------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------

Followers